Special Educational Needs Information Report

SEN Information Report  - September 2022

At different times in their life, a child or young person may have a special educational need. The code of practice 2014 defines SEN as follows:

“A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special education provision to be made for him or her.”

This report details the level of support we offer as a school for our pupils who fall under this definition. At JH Godwin Primary School we value all members of our school community. Our SEN report has been produced with pupils, parents and carers, governors, and members of staff.

Further support and information can be obtained through Cheshire West and Cheshire’s website The Local Offer.

The Local Offer website provides information for children and young people with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) and their parents or carers, in a single place. It includes information from a range of local agencies, including education, health and social care. Knowing what is out there gives you more choice and therefore more control over what support is right for your child.

Click here to see the local offer


Who do I speak to if I have concerns about my child’s learning?

You can speak to:


What is a special educational need?

A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

  • has significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or
  • has a disability that prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions (SEND Code of Practice, 2014).

There are 4 broad categories of special educational needs:

  • communication and interaction – may include Autism Spectrum Disorders, speech and language difficulties
  • cognition and learning -  can include dyslexia, dyspraxia and dyscalculia; moderate learning difficulties, global developmental delay.
  • social, emotional and mental health – may include ADHD, ADD, attachment disorders, emotional difficulties, mental health difficulties
  • sensory and/or physical needs – could include being visually or hearing impaired or be physically disabled.

How does school know if my child has special educational needs?

At JH Godwin, we monitor all children’s progress and attainment throughout every lesson and also through dedicated assessment weeks each term. We are aware that all children have different starting points and therefore track children systematically across the school. When a professional or a parent has raised concerns about their child’s progress and targeted teaching has not met the child’s needs, the teacher will raise this with the SENDCO Mrs Cornish.

If a child is then identified as not making progress, the school will decide whether to monitor the child’s progress further or set up an intervention and will inform parents. These groups may take place for a short period or over a longer period of time-based on the needs and progress your child is making.

At JH Godwin we use a cyclical approach to meeting and reviewing the needs of pupils with special educational needs:


This process includes:

•        Using the graduated approach to identify and support a special educational need.

•        Provision mapping meetings in order to plan appropriate provision and intervention.

•        The setting of individual targets with pupils and their families and sharing the impact of support, using individual education plans.

•        Liaison between the SENCO and class teacher with other professionals to determine and facilitate appropriate support.

•        Ensuring quality interventions are delivered by the appropriately trained staff.

•        Termly pupil progress review meetings with the Head teacher, class teacher and SENCO take place to review progress and appropriateness of provision. This informs provision mapping and the updating or identification of those pupils requiring additional support.

How accessible is this school for children with SEND?

At J H Godwin, children are supported in all four areas of need and we strive to be an inclusive school through the following:

  • Our school is fully compliant with DDA requirements, including disabled toilets and changing facilities.
  • We ensure where ever possible the equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • Our teaching team are kept up to date with the latest developments, training and best practice in all of the four areas of needs through our CPD programme.
  • We have achieved attachment friendly status and can nurture the social and emotional aspects of child development through an experienced pastoral team, calm spaces in each class and teaching a curriculum focused on metacognition and self-regulation.
  • We have our Speech and Language therapist and teaching assistant who deliver therapy interventions and advise staff on developing pupil’s communication skills in the classroom.
  • After-school provision is accessible to all children, including those with SEN.  
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEN.

How is teaching adapted for children with SEND?

At JH Godwin we create learning environments that are adapted to meet the needs of individual learners. We firmly believe in the principle that every teacher is a teacher of SEND and all class teachers and teaching assistants plan and provide lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class and will ensure that work is adapted to enable every child to access their learning as independently as possible.

Through quality first teaching in the classroom, using different strategies to ensure all children inclusively have full access to the curriculum and to promote achievement and successes. These can include:

  • smaller group work
  • additional adult support
  • peer mentoring and co-operative learning techniques
  • pre-learning opportunities
  • additional visual prompts, supports and scaffolds
  • use of supporting equipment
  • through the provision of a range of quality interventions, delivered by teachers and teaching assistants or other specialist professionals from within the school or an outside service.

Occasionally, pupils will be identified as needing additional support above and beyond that provided in the classroom. They may require personalised intervention or have long term needs. School will provide additional support from the budget for a pupil using funding that is calculated on a range of factors. Some children may require further support and school can apply to the local authority for additional funding or an Education, Health and Care plan. This funding will be a ‘top up’ to the school budget. This is decided by a panel at the local authority, who meet monthly and includes head teachers, SEN consultants and other professionals.

What is an Education, Health and Care plan?

The EHC plan is for children and young people who have special educational needs and disabilities and require an assessment of education, health and social care needs, completed by a multi-agency group of professionals. It is available from birth to age 25. The plan then outlines the child’s needs and the type of provision that they require.

It is a way of providing support that puts children, young people and families at the centre of the assessment and planning process, to make sure that their views are not only heard but also understood. This process focuses on what is important for children and young people, i.e. what they and you want to achieve now and in the future.


How does this school measure progress and how often?

Children who have been identified as having additional needs are tracked and monitored vigorously by the Senior Leadership team through our normal assessment procedures. Individual and small group assessments are monitored by the SENDCO with start and end assessments taking place along with open discussion throughout the course of the programme.

Category of special education need:

Each term/ half-term the Head teacher, SENCO and class teacher meet for pupil progress meetings. These meetings:

  • identify progress made by individual pupils and determine whether they are working at an appropriate level for their age and ability
  • ensure pupils with SEN have access to the interventions and support they need
  • monitor the impact this support is having on the pupil’s progress
  • help decide what support is needed in the future
  • Monitor and review achievement mats and individual provision maps to ensure targets are being met and learning is being moved on at a suitable pace.

If a pupil has additional funding, a statement or Education, Health and Care Plan, a formal review takes place at least once a year. Parents, class teachers, SENCO and other professionals attend and discuss if the child’s needs are being met appropriately.

Our SEND Governor is also involved in looking at progress and will receive a termly report around the progress of our SEN children. She is part of our school improvement team and carries out observations and learning walks with the SENCO. 

What interventions are offered at this school?


Category of Special Educational Need



and Interaction

Cognition and 


Social and 


Physical and 


  • Time to Talk
  • Individual speech and language therapy programmes
  • Narrative Therapy
  • Visual prompts and supports
  • Talk about social skills
  • Social stories
  • RWI 1:1 Teaching
  • Rapid Writing reading and Maths
  • Precision teaching
  • Individual and small group target work in Reading, writing and maths
  • Memo
  • Time to Talk
  • Seasons for Growth
  • Jigsaw
  • Anger Management
  • Self-confidence and self-esteem through Proud book
  • ELSA
  • Talk about
  • My Happy Mind
  • Zone of Regulation
  • Sensory boxes
  • Occupational therapy activities
  • Specialist equipment
  • Sensory circuits.

We are constantly renewing and updating this list depending on the good practice shared within our cluster of schools or from learning from research nationally. It is not an exhaustive list will that alter in line with the needs of the pupils we teach.

What other facilities are available to pupils with SEN?

Sensory Room

At J H Godwin we have developed our very own sensory room. The central concept behind using multi-sensory rooms is the stimulation of all senses by using a range of materials and objects. It can also further develop language skills, improve hand-eye coordination, increase sensory function and block out distractions.  Children access this room to carry small groups interventions around managing feelings and anxiety and also for a place to calm down and support their self-regulation. 

Treetops Therapy Suite

We employ Art Therapists, Play Therapists and Mental Health Support Workers, who work with pupils within our treetops therapy suite. We also have access to Platform for Life Councillors. Children’s social and emotional development is monitored by class teachers who refer pupils to our therapy team. This also gives us the capacity to support pupils who have suffered trauma or bereavement.

Speech and Language Provision

Welcome to Starwell room!

At J H Godwin we have a full-time Teaching Assistant working with all children who require additional speech and language provision. Children are identified via parents, class teachers and other professionals. Alongside the NHS speech and Language team will also employ a private speech and language therapist who supports us in reviewing and setting new targets.  All children with targets will have additional support in the Star Well room with Mrs Love.

Please follow the link below to find out further information about our private Speech Therapist:


LunchTime Club

Welcome to Lucky Ducks.

At J H Godwin we have a lunchtime club that is open to pupils who want to have a quieter and more structured lunchtime.  We provide opportunities to develop social skills such as turn-taking, playing games and working together.  During this time children enjoy chatting and socialising with each other carrying out activities such as Lego, board games, mindful colouring and Ipad time. Mrs Mckenzie runs this club every lunchtime and enjoys catching up with children that sometimes need that extra chat.


Do any of the staff have specialist training?

In addition to the training provided for individual members of staff, it is the role of the SENCO to support all teachers and teaching assistants in their provision for pupils with SEND.

Staff have received the following training:

ZONES of REGULATION - self regulation strategies

ELKLAN – speech and language therapy support in all key stages

READ WRITE INC/ LITERACY AND LANGUAGE– reading support accessed by EYFS key stages 1 and 2

FIRST FOR MATHS TRAINING – maths support for all staff from the Local Advisory Team





ELSA Emotional Literacy support(social skills, friendships, self-esteem, anger management)


MY HAPPY MIND - all staff


We also have a trained independent speech and language therapist working with children who have been highlighted by the NHS or school as needing additional speech and language interventions.

Who are the other people delivering services to the children in this school?

Other professionals may need to come into school to support your child or offer advice and guidance to school staff. Here is a list of agencies who visit our school to provide support or work with children. You can find out more about these services by accessing the Local Offer. Click here

Autism Team

Children’s Educational Psychology Team

Speech and Language Therapy services

Children and mental Health Service (CAMHS) -  http://cwpcamhscentre.mymind.org.uk

Behaviour Team/ professionals

School Nurse

Paediatric Team from the Countess of Chester

Visual Impaired support team

Art and Play Therapists

(Any other agency as the needs of the pupils arise)

Reports provided by other professionals are shared with parents/carers and the school. The class teacher or SENCO will discuss with you any information or details of the reports which affects your child’s education and provision.

How does this school support the emotional well-being of pupils? (anti-bullying policy, learning mentors, inclusion policy, self-esteem building)

At JH Godwin we recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be responded to and nurtured. All classes follow a structured PSHE (Personal, Social, Health and Economic education) curriculum to support this development and all curriculum areas foster a teaching approach that incorporates metacognition and self-regulation strategies. My Happy Mind, Mindfulness and Meditation are all taught weekly. Our pupils have access to social and emotional development through our forest schools programme. We have attachment friendly spaces in all classrooms where pupils can find a safe and secure, space when they need this. Also, through all our staff being trained in attachment strategies, they receive the right level of support when using this space.  We recognise that some pupils will find aspects of emotional wellbeing difficult and require further support. For this we offer:

  • Emotional Literacy Provision (ELSA)

At JH Godwin we provide social and emotional support to pupils through our ELSA team. Led by our Learning Mentor, pupils can access additional support for their social and emotional development. The support comes through one to one counselling and activities, group therapy, or advising a support intervention that staff can use in class throughout daily teaching. Alongside this, we use drama therapy, sensory circuits and time to talk to assist pupils with social and emotional support.

  • Group sessions with our Learning Mentor, Mrs Wignall and Mrs Mckenzie (e.g. Seasons for Growth).
  • 1:1 anger management sessions with Learning Mentor
  • 1:1 Zones of Regulation 
  • Work alongside our Educational Psychologist who from our referrals identifies children with Mental Health difficulties and individual programmes are put in place to support these children.
  • Lunchtime clubs for children to access and develop social skills and relationships with other children.
  • Extra-curricular after school clubs or social intervention activities (e.g., Time to Talk and Talk About social skills groups).
  • Pet Therapy

Where further support is required we have visiting professionals who provide the following intervention

  • Platform for Life counselling
  • Art Therapy
  • Play Therapy
  • Mental Health Support Worker

As a school, we have a robust anti-bullying policy and zero-tolerance for any form of bullying. Alongside this we teach children about anti-bullying through PSHCE, circle time and by inviting professionals to deliver workshops/ plays in school to promote positive behaviour to children and parents.

We also have two staff that have been trained in the ELSA programme who work with children to build up self-esteem and develop positive social and friendship skills.

We also carry out regular questionnaires where pupils have the opportunity to record how they feel. These include asking them how happy they are in school, friendships, whether they feel they have been bullied and if they feel included within their class and the whole school.


To ensure our children attend school as much as possible we also have support in place for both our children and their families. We collect children in the morning from home and take them to our breakfast club which provides children with a calm and positive start to their day. We work closely with parents and the EWO to ensure parents have the right support in place and we also reward children with an attendance award and an end of year trip.


We work hard as a team to avoid all types of exclusion and take this action as a last resort and only if we feel it will have a positive impact on the child’s behaviour. For more information refer to the school’s behaviour and anti-bullying policy and procedures on our website.

How will this school support transition into a new class? Or a new school?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND, and we take early steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is joining our school:

  • Home and pre-school visits are carried out to all children starting in Foundation Stage and visits to the school are arranged to aid the settling in process. This also provides an opportunity for parents or carers to share important information about any additional needs their child may have,
  • If your child is older, they will be able to visit our school and stay for a taster session, if this is appropriate.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENCO from the new school.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  •  If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understanding moving to another school, then one will be made for them and worked on with the child.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information is passed from the existing teacher to the new one during a transition meeting. IEPs and other documents are shared, as are strategies and support currently in place.
  • At the end of each academic year, all children have at least 3 days with their new class teacher to dispel any worries they may have over the summer holidays. During this time there will also be an opportunity for parents/ carers to meet the new class teaching team.

 In Year 6:

  • The SENCO will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO of the child’s secondary school during a meeting.
  • Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • In addition to the standard number of visits to their new school, additional visits are arranged for pupils with SEND to support the transition. In some cases, staff from the new school will visit your child at JH Godwin.

How does this school support and share information with the families of children with SEND?

The class teacher is regularly available to speak to parents and carers at the end of the school day, sharing information about what works well at home or school so that similar strategies can be used.

The class teacher will also arrange a meeting to discuss the Achievement Mats (IEPs) and independent learning boxes with parents and carers. Ideas are shared about what parents can do to support their child at home and a home/school communication book is used to monitor the support at home. Activities are given to parents to reinforce and support the children’s targets at home.

Parents are welcome to speak to the SENCO about any information or concerns they may have by booking an appointment via the school office.

We also see the importance of involving the child in this process by supporting them in taking ownership of their learning and designing their achievement mats.

They set targets with their class teacher and through their achievement mat, they move their learning on. They have opportunities to practice their targets throughout the day through the use of their independent learning boxes which are packed with resources and games to support them in meeting their targets. The children are also involved with the review process and join parents in the meetings when discussing progress and next steps.

If a child is in receipt of funding or has an EHCP, they will be part of the annual review process through Child-Led Reviews. In these meetings they have opportunities to share their work, talk about their achievements and say what they enjoy in school. They may also share any requests they have when considering how the school can support and meet their needs.

We also provide training for parents through Magic 123 or intervention programmes ran by the Autism Teams. We have termly coffee mornings where parents can ask questions about supporting their child and also offer advice to other parents.

We take parents to events and information sessions to provide them with additional support from outside agencies.

We also offer in house training such as First Aid and support in completing documents and medical reports regarding their child’s needs.


What if I disagree with decisions being made about my child?

If you are not happy with anything the school does when dealing with your child, you should first talk to the teacher responsible for special educational needs or your child's class teacher. You may also talk to the SENCO or Headteacher.

You may find it helpful to write down your worries before a meeting and, if you want to, you can take a friend or relative or your Named Person with you. A Named Person is someone who will help you to express your views and offer you support whenever you need it. You may also find it helpful to talk to other parents. Our school can provide the names of local voluntary organisations and parents' groups that might also be able to help.

If after speaking to the school, you remain concerned you may wish to contact the SEN Governor for the school, who is also our Chair of Governors Mrs Carol Gahan.

The school will have a policy on how it handles complaints. You can find further information about school complaints on the Council's website if you are still not happy after using going through the school's complaints procedures.

If you are unhappy with a decision that has been made by the local authority, you can contact them directly using the details below. There is also further support on The Local Offer website detailing outside agencies who work with families.

Parents can also seek independent support and advice through the Information Advice and Support Service.


September 2021



Files to Download

Contact the School

J H Godwin Primary School

Melbourne Road
Headteacher: Mrs L Cartledge

Main Contact: If you would like to contact someone at school for help with anything please ring and speak to Mrs S Jefferson or Mrs K Bickerton in the office

Tel: 01244 259 666

SEN Contact: Mrs E Cornish SENDCO - via admin@jhgodwin.cheshire.sch.uk

Helpful Links